What type of hypersensitivity reaction is Manuel likely experiencing and how do you know?.
Week 5 Case Study: Hypersensitivity Reactions
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Weekly Concepts
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Manuel loved the outdoors and loved playing softball. There was no better way to spend a weekend than on the diamond hitting the ball and cooking burgers on the park grill.
“Hey Jose, great game this afternoon,” Manuel said to his friend.
“Yep,” Jose replied. “I loved how you hit the ball over that right fielder’s head. I think he is still running after it.”
“That was a lucky hit. I couldn’t do that again if I tried,” said Manuel.
“When is soup on? I’m getting hungry for one of your ¾ pound hamburgers with all of the fixings,” asked Jose.
“Soon brother, real soon,” said Manuel. “Can you hand me my Coke can on the bench other there?”
“Sure thing amigo,” replied Jose while handing the Coke can to Manuel.
“Yikes!” exclaimed Manuel after he spit out the Coke. “There was a bee in the can and it stung the roof of my mouth.”
Within a few minutes, Manuel developed generalized hives on his face and upper body and experienced shortness of breath and chest pains. The paramedics were called and quickly transported Manuel to the local emergency room where he was treated with epinephrine.
Answer the following questions and save your responses in a Microsoft Word document. Provide a scholarly resource to support your answers.
- Manuel is experiencing a hypersensitivity reaction. What are hypersensitivity reactions?
- Briefly describe the different types of hypersensitivity reactions.
- What type of hypersensitivity reaction is Manuel likely experiencing and how do you know?
- Is this an antibody or T-cell mediated response? What class of antibodies or type of T-cells are involved?
- Why was epinephrine administered and how does epinephrine work in this case?
Submit your case study document.
Microsoft Office: Word
This activity will be graded based on the Case Study grading rubric. You can view the rubric below.
Course Outcomes (CO): 4
Due Date: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday of Week 5